Monday, March 1, 2010

rain, sun, no tsunami

after proving myself again
that i CAN be an oregonian
i camped in the rain on the coast
friday night

strangely everyone wimped out
but two of us

after a great lil hike to cape falcon area
after a nutritious nutella banana
eaten on the beach behind
our wet campsite

my tent was a champion
and kept us dry
graduate school was so worth it
since i got a tent and amazingly warm sleeping bag
for a present of celebration
thanks again mom and dad
it's amazing to think i didn't use a tent for years
now i'm understanding why you actually need one
sometimes

after my friend departed me
to go to work
i decided for some good contemplative
meditative
chillaxation time on the beach
after properly situating myself
with an enjoyable book
and my journal
the sun came out of the clouds
and...
five minutes later i see mr. state park man
drive up in his 4 wheeler and loudly tell the peeps next to me
and so he wouldn't have to repeat himself
a tsunami at 2:30?
get off the beach?
as i looked at my clock it was 2:17
so i obeyed and walked up to my car
got the scoop from the other peeps
that if it got bad they'd sound the alarm

so placing myself next to my car
which was conveniently next to the sign
for the tsunami escape route
i awaited for the surge of the ocean with others...
i admit there were times i thought a big wave was coming,
but it never came
and although others stayed on the beach
i couldn't bring myself to sit
peacefully again on the shore.

as the arizonian i am
i got cold.
got a warm drink.
sat in my car to block the wind
and wrote in my journal there.
i heard the ocean o.k.
not quite what i wanted but it worked for a bit.
thus my quest in earning that moss covered heart continues.

No comments: