Monday, August 20, 2007

fondest of green and grey

my park service days have come and gone but i always have a fondnest in my heart for the green a grey. on my way to vegas i was able to stay with my good ol friend pete and his darling finance, jacqueline. my biggest regret was not getting a picture of them together and her beautiful ring. i luckily made it in to jacqueline's NIGHT PREDATOR, evening program (she had a catchy name but i'm forgetful) at zion national park. the next day i was able to go out on patrol to the subway (lucky, lucky me) with pete, who's a backcountry ranger for zion.
can you believe my bootie fit through that hole? well it did with a lil spray butter which i always pack on any hike or canyoneering adventure that may have a tight squeeze.
so i've been to the subway in the past with my friend, brian, but had never came from the top down

so there were about 3 or 4 rappels and a few little scrambles down but it was all so beautiful and who doesn't love swimming through lil' slot canyons... water in the desert is amazing and is quite possible heaven on earth in my book
i was reminded of such a simple happy life in living so close to nature and working for an organization that stresses the conservation of where so many find peace and serenity



it was nice just to spend less than 24 hours with an old friend that knows the old and new you and is still a true friend

it's always refreshing to know your friend is happy, at peace with his life, and excited for his future with someone that is a great match for him

and it's a plus that you get to still do fun things with them even while they work


lucky me

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

Wow...that looks like so much fun! I would love to repell down into that. Please take me next time you go.

Sparklebot said...

Petey can't get married! He's mine!

jess said...

Smash- I'll make sure to bring you up next time I talk to him...

kirsten... i'll jingle you for next time!

Hilary said...

You're kidding about the spray butter thing right?

Alyssa said...

Your spray butter and bootie comment had me rollin! p.s. Congrats on the new calling...I'm excited for you...and all of us!!