Monday, July 21, 2008

the rewards of being cheap

after being in chetumal for many hours waiting for my bus, i missed my bus unbeknownst to me. i decided to walk around a little more around the bus terminal and to my dismay i saw two clocks on the wall... then i found that i had changed time zones when i crossed over from belize to mexico. i feel a notice of this change would have been nice but i ran to a lady seeing that it was 15 minutes after my ticket was supposed to leave. she radioed the bus but it was already too late. so i had to purchase a ticket for a later bus for a higher price and i rolled into playa del carmen about 1:30 a.m. the best thing is i could have left a couple of hours earlier on a first class bus in chetumal but being the thrifty traveler i was i wasn't going to pay that extra 80 pesos (like $8 bucks) but because i missed my bus i still had to pay about the same amount to get another ticket to playa. luckily on a saturday night it was still bumpin' in playa so the walk to my hostel wasn't scary.
i should stopped my cheap skate ways after not taking the direct bus from guatemala city to flores but once you're in that mind set $7 sure seems a lot.
mexico was worlds hotter than any other place we went. i was lucky to score a top bunk in the hostel luckily church was the perfect amount of a/c and i got there an hour early so i stayed 4 hours in righteous air flow. AND i met this nice couple from cali that took me out to dinner after church.
playa was beautiful and hot. i luckily ran early in the morning on monday but my lil body is not used to soo much air and humid thick air as well. i laid out on the beach for a few hours and then showered before my bus to the airport. of course the best thing about being in mexico, other than the beach was the tacos al pastor. i do have to say they weren't as good as cuernavaca's but i still walked a bit just to have them at night. i wish there'd be a bigger following in slc on this delicious pork but maybe with time.

1 comment:

Dainon. said...

The sight of those tacos makes my mouth fill up with saliva. Oh, Mexico. I'd live in your country just for the food, nothing more ...