Wednesday, August 27, 2008

scratch-n-sniff

i used to love those stickers that gave you that hint of scent whether of fruit or soap. as i drove back from phoenix last night i drove into flag and the aroma of pine filled my car. look at those peaks, just beautiful! blurry but you get the point. humphreys spoke to me and told me he was majestic and i needed to appreciate his summit sometime soon. as a teenager i disliked the thought of going to college in flag, it was too close to home and too cold. as i've grown, every time i go there, there's a peacefulness i enjoy and ease that makes me want to stay awhile. it may be a combo of the hippies, trees and delicious dara thai food it's probably more.
i religiously go to the rainbow connection & animas trading company downtown for my hippy shopping needs. i was enchanted again by the smell of incense and after purchasing a few items the heavy smell accompanied me all the way back to my parents' home. as i sniff my new clothes i'm grateful that smell hasn't been too over generated or imitated. the tv doesn't shoot out smells get, yes i know there's a ride in disneyland that does but i'm grateful for the memories surrounded by smells and it can't be copied as other things can. candles may try but they don't raise a flame to the pure goodness of a pine.
i'm a bit of a purist and i was happy to see in their city weekly-like paper, flagstaff live! that a. it's wasn't full of mormon critics (and yes other places talk about normal stuff not for religion always to be brought up, i still like city weekly but at times want to stop talking about ills of opinion of mormonism) and b. a section for you to send it your pictures that aren't enhanced by photoshop. oh and c. hearing about some one's musical, passionate global pursuit. it hard to leave... but i knew i'd be visiting this in cameron to read my fortune according to my birth month and wate?

hmmm... another great tradition fulfilled.

(oh no! i just noticed for years i've been putting the coin in the wrong spot. it's supposed to be in the slot opposite of my month born, i've had the wrong fortune for years! great, this is going to linger in my mind for awhile.)

4 comments:

Naomi said...

I love the smell of Flagstaff. It was always a treat to beat the Valley of the Sun and emerge into forests of pine.

Dainon. said...

For some reason, I can't quite shake Flagstaff off as one of my top five cities I'd like to move to. There's something amazing about pine trees shooting up in the middle of parking lots, I think. Like, nature will not bow to asphalt ... it will persevere.

ram said...

you got those fortunes for a good reason, Jess. the way they worded that thing was a little weird, too.

Jaimie said...

Is the fortune still stuck on something like, "Don't be a drunk?"