Sunday, March 29, 2009

becoming an oregonian

so saturday was the annual solv oregon clean up our beaches day. the night before some friends and i went over to lincoln city for my church's lil overnighter hoping for some decent weather to play ultimate on the beach and other such activities. friday night was full of scrabble games (one of my new investments this month).
so i've been researching about some hiking groups out of p-town and also hear from a co-worker about the mazamas. so i found out a group was going to netarts bay and decided to join forces and see what they were all about.
so my friend, dave and i, drove up the beach to netarts bay. let's just say it was lightly raining in lincoln city but really raining in netarts. i felt like this was the moment i had to show my devotion to my new residence. people here hike, bike, camp, do all sorts of things in the rain. i, myself, never have done such things in the rain before. where i come from, if it's raining, you stay inside. here it's a different story...you may never come out if that's your philosophy.
so in the rain we amongst a handful of others got our bags and headed for the beach.
yeah that's rain across that picture. lots of it.
i couldn't even open my eyes for this picture. i was trying to do a little mermaid shot but now i really know how ridiculous i looked yesterday. my faithful lama beanie from ensenada kept my head warm though.

dave and i even dug this plastic carton type thing out of the beach.
someone said it had been there for years.
that's devotion to the cause just like my soaking wet underwear and pants were.
the coast is just classic, like these awesome bathrooms.
so all i have to say is i'm putting in my time to feel like i'm a "true oregonian."
unfortunately there wasn't a large flux of people from the group but i did meet one or two people that made me more curious about the group and i plan on going to more of their planned hikes.
we'll see and i'm crossing my fingers i'll find some fun peeps that enjoy the outdoors.

so i am sacrificing for you oregon. this better pay off.
and my shoes are still not dry.

3 comments:

Goodfellow Family said...

HEY GIRL LOVE YOUR BLOG, THANKS FOR SHARING.....I FEEL YA ABOUT THE RAIN.....9 MONTHS OF THE YEAR BUT ALMOST WORTH IT FOR THE 3 MOST BEAUTIFUL MONTHS YOU GET OF SUNSHINE.....I DO HAVE TO ADMIT THAT IS THE MAIN THING I DO NOT MISS ABOUT OREGON. LOVES!

The Shawcrofts said...

Jess, props to you for your efforts to climatize to Oregon. It looks beautiful there. Miss your guts!

Leslie said...

looks freeeeeeezing!