Wednesday, May 27, 2009

18 miles

so after j&a rolled in last friday at 4:30 a.m.
i couldn't quite go back to sleep
so i decided that i should just go on my 18 mile run then

after slightly ripping through my house
looking for "gu" that i bought
(which i'm a true believer of)
and being unsuccessful
i finally hit the road for the grocery store(s)

i didn't find any after 3 stops
so on for the miles i went
i did buy a heafty granola/clif like bar
so after 10 miles i tried to gobble down a bit to have some substance in me
in the 4 blocks i walked
as i was walking, a man was pulled on the side of the road
with a trailer

he asked if i could help him tie down something that was loose
i said sure and started to help him

the conversation goes as follows:
man in camo- "are you going to school?"
me- assessing my outfit
skivy short purple running shorts,
white athletic shirt with a bright coral/orange sports bra,
new white running shoes
and small camelback on my back

me-hmmm..."no, i'm running."

camo man- "i just saw you, you weren't running"

me- "i just ran 10 miles and have 8 more to go,
i'm training for a marathon."

camo man- "oh"

this blew my mind!
number one. the only school nearby in this small town i was in, is a high school.
number two. thank you for thinking i'm 18 or less but really?
number three. thank you for letting me know you saw i wasn't running. i'm sorry i took a small break for some substance.

needless to say it made me laugh the rest of the time
it helped me keep something else in my head
since i run music-less

the adventures in running...

5 comments:

Maggie said...

please don't talk to strangers...and this guy was strange. 18 miles....that's great.

Naomi said...

You should have kicked him in the shins and then run away.

Danielle Merket said...

This is the best story ever. I love, love, love how he called you out on not running.

SWG said...

Haven't you seen Silence of the Lambs? "Help me tie this down" is the oldest trick in the book.

jess said...

SWG-That's exactly what someone else said to me today. i guess i forgot that part in the movie... it was in broad day light in the metro town of turner... it was so harmless...