Tuesday, June 8, 2010

last child in the woods

so i just started this book yesterday

and am loving it...

it's reaffirming of wanting my future children
to play outside
to wonder
to love cardboard boxes
to dig
to imagine
to pretend
to explore open places
to have a refuge
and see beauty in nature

one quote from a fifth grade girl in the book...

"When I'm in the woods, I feel like I'm in my mother's shoes."
she goes on to say:
"It's so peaceful out there and the air smells good. I mean, it's polluted, but not as much as the city air. For me, it's completely different there. It's like you're free when you go out there. It's your own time. Sometimes I go there when I'm mad - and then, just with the peacefulness, I'm better. I can come back home happy and my mom doesn't even know why."

more quotes to come...

no wonder i felt like i should leave the song,
"Pave paradise, put up a parking lot," when the cattail area
near my house got developed.
it was the place of memories
of tadpole catching,
snake catching,
an exploratory place
of wonder
and bliss.

i think adults, youth and kids need
time in nature
it's peaceful,
healing,
quiet,
beautiful...
the list goes on.

and my thoughts and ponderings
will continue...
be ready.

5 comments:

Jaimie said...

so...GET GOING on those future kids, eh? But IIII, get jackson.

Sparklebot said...

I know how to make babies. I can help tutor you.

The book sounds right up your alley.

Globe Trecker said...

This is such a great book. The author created a "Leave No Child Inside" movement (June is the month for recognizing it).

Leslie said...

We've been spending lots more time outside...although it's a pave paradise (driveway). Oh, the guilt.

and a yes, please to checking portland IKEA for that rug. If you are there. :)

Juli said...

May I borrow when you're done?