Friday, June 11, 2010

target meltdown

after work today
i made the mistake of
going to target
because a. i threw down too much money
and b. there were child meltdowns
all over the store.

while trying on clothes
that nothing fit
or looked right
i giggled while listening
to a mom try on clothes
with three kids in the dressing room with her
comments like,
"mom you're too old for that"
"thanks son"

or "boys i'm trying on a bathing suit-
nose to the wall!
no peeking!"
there was a lot of giggling
and it was purely entertaining

next i was in the shoe section...
i was trying on a pair of darling shoes
when this 8-ish year old girl
told me that they looked cute
then her mom tried the same pair on
her mom was young-
thank you very much
then the mom was trying to decide
between two pairs
(both that i liked)
and her daughter told her to go
with the pair
i got

it all went downhill from there
the rest of my target experience
was hearing multiple children
in multiple areas
having meltdowns

at first it was entertaining
to hear how their parents were responding
but after the third area
i couldn't handle it anymore
parents weren't the kindest

so this unwed-childless woman
fled the scene
i was grateful for
my stage and situation in life

and no i didn' think...
when i have kids...
they won't...
i know it will happen to me
like everyone else.

6 comments:

Maggie said...

You were the perfect child in stores...Now Jaimie on the other hand, if she lost her plastic pig in the store we were ALL in big trouble. Wait a minute.....we never went to stores when you were a child. We lived in the forest.

Maggie said...

Next to the hot springs...hummm I see a pattern here.

Jaimie said...

wow, and you aren't even in Utah anymore! Sounds like great birth control to me. Having kids is over rated... ;)
and my plastic pig! I was thinking about it the other day.

Sparklebot said...

OMG. I NEVER take our kids into a store if I can help it. I know that's "easy" for me to do since we only have our kids every other weekend, but seriously, it's a NIGHTMARE. They want EVERYTHING, and they will do ANYTHING to get EVERYTHING.

It seems to me, as a kid, that I probably asked for lots of things, but only threw huge fits for things I REALLY wanted. But, maybe I remember that wrong.

These kids will FIGHT for any little thing, and then if I give in, they will leave it in the car after we buy it and totally forget that it even exists. It infuriates me on a level I had never felt before.

Anyway.

Stores should be a kid-free zone, if you ask me.

Globe Trecker said...

Love it!

And, I miss having a Target where I live. Sniff, sniff.

Juli said...

Fun to hear the perspective of the OTHER people at the store :)